A mage has taught his students many things, about the ways of a true wizard. But he often loudly admired a certain quality that few wizards have, and is rarely recognized: the art to create new original magical items, that were simple in making and could be easily sold, thus promoting the usefulness of magic, and becoming rich this way.
One student had enough of his laments one day, and devised a useless prank item (knowing the mage's vanity and wont of a clean, shaved face). When the truth was discovered, the mage was quite enraged. But to his student's dismay, he saw the possibilities...
...and is selling these razors until today.
In the act of shaving, the razor stimulates the shaved area to grow more bodily hair, faster and bigger.
- Obviously, for pranks. It takes some time to notice, but the growth accelerates, and the victim has to shave more often, likely with the same razor. May be particularly cruel if used to spoil female beauty. (Does not apply to hobbit wiwes though...) Some would call it cursed.
- Curing baldness. Unless the head is completely bare and devoid of any hair, shaving it may 'wake up' anything that remains, and initiate the growth of new hair. This particular use can bring much gold from the vain and unlucky.
- Raising your manliness! If you desire a nice manly hairy chest, go ahead.
- A relatively slow (taking weeks) but effective disguise. Will grow a nice beard in relatively short time.
- A farmer has begun with experiments on sheep, desiring better and longer wool. This may bring the biggest economical effect over time.
First, the effect is limited in time. Regular shaving can prolong it to weeks or even months, but certainly not longer. The bodily hair in question will grow into the new length, but the acceleration will steadily slow down (unless shaved again with this razor).
Second and more important, this is a very weak magic item. It does not create anything new, it just makes a certain natural process faster (though it may support the growth of new hair). A beard would stay even on a child, but would probably not regrow if later removed with ordinary items. The process will never speed up beyond natural limits (shaven asleep, wake up with a full dwarwen beard).
Not Registered Yet? No problem.
Do you want Strolenati super powers? Registering. That's how you get super powers! These are just a couple powers you receive with more to come as you participate.
- Upvote and give XP to encourage useful comments.
- Work on submissions in private or flag them for assistance.
- Earn XP and gain levels that give you more site abilities (super powers).
- You should register. All your friends are doing it!
? Responses (13)-14
This is the kind of magic item that MUs should be making. Why slave away for twenty years creating a magic sword you and yours can't use - and nobody can really re-emburse you for your time spent (and lack of lifespan after), when you can do a few days work and sell the results for big bucks.
This is the kind of magic item you will find in my world.
Very good, and the sort of thing that would be both legal and widly sold. 5/5 I can imagine a company/guild making these.
Can't argue with either of these replies - nice useful little item, easy to make and with plenty of profit potential - just the sort of thing that would be common.
I also quite like the idea that it started as a practical joke - just the sort of evil (with a small "e") little prank students are wont to play.
Really nice idea - 5/5
Hah - a really fun item! I can't say much about it that hasn't been said before, but good work!
where can I purchase one of these bad boys? Does Gillette(tm) carry the model?
5/5 for this useful in many ways item.
I've always liked this one. And naturally, the bizarre BH comment :) (and manfred's responce)
Oh, and manfred, I found that quote :-D
So here it is... thanks, Muro!
Very cute and unique! I love it!
Great one. If this keeps up I'm going to be stealing half of a setting from you peeps..... damnit.
You ain't seen nothing yet.
There are many settings, and much is created without any particular setting. Steal away - and leave something useful behind, if you get an idea. :)