Yuna is a typical looking Amero-Nipponese woman, with a pale complexion, shoulder length dark brown hair, almond shaped eyes, and a slim figure. She avoids uniforms, military equipment, and technological devices, for personal reasons. She favors casual clothing, and if armed, she carries a standard issue light pistol, a class of weapons she is highly skilled at using. She enjoys poetry, music, and art, so long as it is serene, or zen in nature.
A spiritualist/animist from Nippon, Yuna Aoki is a phenometrically augmented Amero-Nipponese woman, engineered to have the best physical features of both races. Having survived a catastrophic dimensional fatigue event in Tokyo II, Yuna erupted as a powerful parapsychic with an emphasis on manipulating astral and dimensional entities. The young woman demonstrated the stunning ability to summon and control Spirits and the take control of manifested entities as the situation presented. Deemed a psychic controller, Aoki was attached to a Nipponese Rapid Response Team, and eventually defected from Nippon when she learned that rather than preventing disasters, the RRTs were being used to clean up entirely predictable and often deliberate events. Since then, she has be a high ranking parapsychic asset to New Themyscira.
Yuna fled Nipponese control during a mission in the Republic of California. She a small group of like minded dissenters commandeered a small VTOL craft and made their way across Mexico to New Themyscira where they requested sanctuary. No longer involved in black ops, Yuna is a ranking Amazon working as both a Priestess of the Temple of the Faith, but also as a Parapsychic and Dimensional Science researcher. She retains her skills, and is a competent fighter with melee weapons, but excels with pistols, demonstrating her ability as both a Gun Adept and a cosmic horror summoner and controller. She would like to be a musician, but doesn't have the time to pursue this goal, and her grounding in Nipponese Ska-Pop renders her taste in music disagreeable to most of her Amazon companions.
Skills, Abilities, and Bonuses
Parapsychic - dimensional manipulation
Dimensional manipulation is a rare and highly valued manifestation of parapsi ability. After erupting after the Tokyo II DFE, Yuna was quickly taken into custody and pressed into the PacRim Coalition's Rapid Response Team system. Her abilities allow her to sense the presence of a dimensional fatigue event, as well as creatures an anomalies spawned from it. In the case of lifeforms, she can use her power to manipulate and even bring them under her control. In a typical engagement, she will find the most powerful aberrant present to control, and use it as a shield, and a warhound for the rest of the team. She is rightly terrified of finding a cosmic horror that is able to recognize the conduit she creates between them to reverse this control, leaving her the puppet of an unknowable monster.
Yuna can bend the trajectory of bullets in mid-air, allowing her to pull of incredible shots and feats of accuracy. She doesn't have a powerful weapon, but she finds the light pistol round is perfect for her level of skill and ability. She can put the round between armor plates, into weak points like eyes, nostrils, gills, thermal ports, etc.
Formerly a sale associate and amateur musician, Yuna can handle dealing with people, acting as a team leader, coordinating group activities, and can play a number of synth-instruments as well as sing and compose song and poetry.
Not Registered Yet? No problem.
Do you want Strolenati super powers? Registering. That's how you get super powers! These are just a couple powers you receive with more to come as you participate.
- Upvote and give XP to encourage useful comments.
- Work on submissions in private or flag them for assistance.
- Earn XP and gain levels that give you more site abilities (super powers).
- You should register. All your friends are doing it!
? Responses (4)
Nice NPC, Could be easily adapted to most any setting.
Never played final fantasy X.
This post begs so many questions. Here are my top five.
What is on Yuna's playlists. How does she wed her proclivity for serene zen music with her desire to play Japanese ska-pop?
What are the 'best features' of the Japanese and american 'races'?
What kind of research does she do-actually never mind that she can bullets up people's noses. What would push these very moral character to put a bullet up somebody's nose?
If she is terrified of cosmic horrors, does she still use her power to summon them and if so ain't that a little bat poop crazy?
How many scraps this girl been in, you attribute a lot of violent potential to a non violent character?
Bonus question: which of the five her board games would she prefer: apples to apples, scrabble, cranium, puerto Rico or Monopoly
To answer the questions:
1. Her taste in art is serene and zen, favoring traditional Japanese art, like painting kanji, flower arrangement, etc. Her playlist is likely an eclectic mix of soft pop, synthesizer, and whatever is trendy. One person's serenity is another person's noise. Yuna likes ska-pop, I find dubstep soothing.
2. The Amero-Nipponese phenotype is widely presented in anime. Predominantly white with large eyes and vaguely Asian features. That comes from the other side of the Pacific, not this side.
3. Her role in research is as a test subject, demonstrating her abilities under scientific observation. As for the nostril comment, that's taking pot-shots at monsters and bogeymen, not so much shooting other people. What would push a moral character to put a bullet up a monster's snout? Preventing said monster from eating her and the rest of her team, or turning them into incubators, or building material, or the 1001 other horrible things that an aberrant invasive species from a another dimension would want to do to people.
4. One of the things about the Cosmic Era is that it is a scary batpoop crazy place. She summons and controls cosmic horrors because she can, and that is the best way she can use her talents to help others and protect humanity. If you have the ability to protect large numbers of people, can you refuse to? Can you reject the moral responsibility to help and care for others who have no other defense than the organization you work for?
5. More than she cares to have been involved in. She's stoic, pragmatic, and if a cosmic horror doesn't eat her soul and puppeteer her body first, she will eventually burn out.
Bonus: Puerto Rico and Monopoly would be offensive games in the Cosmic Era, rooted as they are in the mindset that lead to the near destruction of the biosphere and humanity in general, much like breaking out some Jim Crow racist slave chasing boardgame would be today. Apples to Apples and Cranium would be too frivolous and light-hearted. Scrabble is the most appealing of the games listed, but she is also likely to be interested in classical games like Chess and Go.
I don't know, is the cosmic era that much more horrible than today. Yeah you have potentially world ending magic and a masses of moral bankrupt sheep, but don't we have that now? We have boko haram, ISIS, crazed shooters, nuclear weapons, global warming and Donald Trump. We have exploitive and empty forms of entertainment and plaques of our making. Often it sounds like the near apocalypse of post-pertolem era put the citizens of the cosmic era into the mindset that they need to be a little more responsible and less greedy. Does the average citizen of the cosmic era live in reasonable fear of chthulu eating their soul or starvation or death through violence? Which is scarier a species eating star whale a group of people that feel justified in rape and genocide?